Blogging in Berkeley. Notes on news, politics, law, and technology in the US and China. [This blog is inactive. I am now staying busy and having a great time at UVA Law.]
Friday, March 21, 2003
 

Last night in Kaohsiung (Thursday night)-
No Europeans wanted to chat last night, they seemed cautiously polite.
The Taiwanese men and women were extremely friendly and chatty...the war was barely mentioned though. I played pool at the "Montana Pub" with an ethnicly Chinese Singaporean businessman and after a long pub crawl I had had a great time.

As I slept last night CNN was on in the background. I had a dream about my maternal grandmother, Helen Mann("Grandma Baba"). She and I were never very close...I don't think of her often, and when I do think of her I regret not having known her better. In this dream she and I were staying in a bright White, small two bedroom house. Everything was bright white...the beds, the walls, the furniture; it was simple and beautiful. I can't remember what I saw out there, but the backyard was gorgeous. It gave me the same sense as my backyard in my former home in Davis...outside the house there was a city that looked perhaps like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale but with perfect weather (not humid).
For some reason, my grandmother was looking after me (as though I was sick or something). I had a sense of complete happiness. In the dream, much of the time I was watching war coverage on TV regarding protesters (CNN was on all night as I slept and I remember some details of coverage). I was sitting on a white couch in a sitting room that looked out on the back yard through a sliding glass door. She wasn't interested, I was very interested. At one point the TV was turned up loudly, and she simply slid close a sliding panel door that seperated her room and the front of the small house from my bedroom and the sitting room. I remember in the dream that I spoke with my grandmother, though I can't remember what we talked about.

This dream was significant to me in several ways. I don't think of Grandma Baba often, but my dream about living with her was long and I remember it clearly. Was this place Heaven or the "afterlife" of the good people of this world? I'm not sure I've earned a place there...I know she did...I miss her. My sense is that she was letting me know that she is watching over me...I am not religious though I am spiritiual...I don't pray often though I did pray every time I got on a 900cc motorcycle in Thailand or placed myself in a dangerous situation in the past few years. I have heard some very sad news in the last two days, some that effect my life very directly and some news that effects me indirectly. I hope this dream meant she is watching over me.
 


<< Home

Name:
Location: California, United States
ARCHIVES
03/2003 - 04/2003 / 04/2003 - 05/2003 / 09/2004 - 10/2004 / 10/2004 - 11/2004 / 11/2004 - 12/2004 / 12/2004 - 01/2005 / 01/2005 - 02/2005 / 02/2005 - 03/2005 / 03/2005 - 04/2005 / 04/2005 - 05/2005 / 05/2005 - 06/2005 / 06/2005 - 07/2005 / 07/2005 - 08/2005 / 03/2006 - 04/2006 / 04/2006 - 05/2006 / 05/2006 - 06/2006 / 06/2006 - 07/2006 / 09/2006 - 10/2006 /


CAL LINKS

Kellykelly
Cal alumna in SingaporeSingapore
Res Ipsa Loquitur
Political blog: Cal students and alumni
Professor Brad DeLong
Economics Prof. DeLong's blog
Calstuff
Group blog: News. Observations.
Daily Californian
Cal campus newspaper
Cal Patriot Blog
Blog for Cal Patriot magazine

News clips and progressive commentary:
Crooks & Liars
Mike's Blog Roundup

US BLOGS

The Volokh Conspiracy
Becker-Posner Blog
The Belmont Club
Underneath Their Robes
Powerline Blog
Left2Right Blog
INDC Journal
Andrew Sullivan

INTERNATIONAL

Danwei Blog (China)
The Marmot's Hole (Korea)
Iraq The Model (Iraq)
Free Iraqi (Iraq)
Belgravia Dispatch (UK)
Barcepundit (Spain)
Hemlock's Diary (Kong Kong)

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares
Blogarama
Globe of Blogs