Blogging in Berkeley. Notes on news, politics, law, and technology in the US and China. [This blog is inactive. I am now staying busy and having a great time at UVA Law.]
Saturday, March 29, 2003
 

Not a whole lot to talk about *publicly* regarding the last couple days...though, I would like to share an e-mail that I recieved from my good friend Dan...it sounds like he had an extremely interesting experience back in Davis:

T-
Totally recreational e-mail, thats new huh. Anyway, I was at work Sophia's tonight and who walks (or rolls) up but Stephen Hawking! I guess he spoke at the Mondavi Center earlier this week and was in town for a few days. We took a picture of me raising a beer to him and giving a big thumbs up (I thought a W/T pose was the most appropriate considering the situation). I was talking to the guys at G st. and they said he'd been there every night since Monday. I don't know why this shocks me, but I thought it was fuckin' hilarious. So, if that isn't a endorsement for partying, I don't know what is. Resisting the urge to call him "Mr. Smarty Pants" was difficult. Gotta throw in that his compu-robo chair was pretty fucking cool. I thought you'd get a kick out of that little experience. Look forward to seeing you soon.
-Dan


I wish I was there for that...one wonders from time to time, if you ran in to the "smartest man alive" what would you say or ask. I'm not sure, but I'd deffinately buy him a beer.

Regarding the French, I recieved some quotes sent by to me by Steve, these certainly brought a smile to my face:

Quotes on France and the thought of war:

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes."
--Mark Twain

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
-- General George S. Patton

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
--Norman Schwartzkopf

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."
-- Marge Simpson

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure"
--Jacques Chirac, President of France

"As far as France is concerned, you're right."
--Rush Limbaugh,

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee."
-- Regis Philbin

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know."
-- P.J O'Rourke (1989)

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it."
--John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He is French, people."
--Conan O'Brien

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of France!"
--Jay Leno

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag."
--David Letterman

How many Frenchmen does it take to change a light bulb?
One. He holds the bulb and all of Europe revolves around him.

Next time there's a war in Europe, the loser has to keep France.

 


<< Home

Name:
Location: California, United States
ARCHIVES
03/2003 - 04/2003 / 04/2003 - 05/2003 / 09/2004 - 10/2004 / 10/2004 - 11/2004 / 11/2004 - 12/2004 / 12/2004 - 01/2005 / 01/2005 - 02/2005 / 02/2005 - 03/2005 / 03/2005 - 04/2005 / 04/2005 - 05/2005 / 05/2005 - 06/2005 / 06/2005 - 07/2005 / 07/2005 - 08/2005 / 03/2006 - 04/2006 / 04/2006 - 05/2006 / 05/2006 - 06/2006 / 06/2006 - 07/2006 / 09/2006 - 10/2006 /


CAL LINKS

Kellykelly
Cal alumna in SingaporeSingapore
Res Ipsa Loquitur
Political blog: Cal students and alumni
Professor Brad DeLong
Economics Prof. DeLong's blog
Calstuff
Group blog: News. Observations.
Daily Californian
Cal campus newspaper
Cal Patriot Blog
Blog for Cal Patriot magazine

News clips and progressive commentary:
Crooks & Liars
Mike's Blog Roundup

US BLOGS

The Volokh Conspiracy
Becker-Posner Blog
The Belmont Club
Underneath Their Robes
Powerline Blog
Left2Right Blog
INDC Journal
Andrew Sullivan

INTERNATIONAL

Danwei Blog (China)
The Marmot's Hole (Korea)
Iraq The Model (Iraq)
Free Iraqi (Iraq)
Belgravia Dispatch (UK)
Barcepundit (Spain)
Hemlock's Diary (Kong Kong)

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares
Blogarama
Globe of Blogs