Bank of Oops
Dye Pack Explodes, Bank Customer Thinks He's Shot
"LAKEWOOD, Wash. -- A Lakewood businessman thought he had been shot after leaving a bank branch where a teller mistakenly gave him a dye pack with his cash.
Rajiv Diwan was walking out of the bank with the cash in his pants when the dye pack exploded. He put his hand in his pocket, and when it came out red he thought he had been shot.
Then police arrived and thought he might be a bank robber until the misunderstanding was explained.
He was taken to a hospital and given a hazardous materials shower for the dye-pack paint, which had a strong ammonia smell.
He's recovering from a burn on his thigh and awaiting an apology from the bank."I would hate to be the customer service guy that had to deal with this screw-up. I wonder if they have a form letter for this kind of thing:
Dear Bank of Oops Customer,
Bank of Oops is committed to providing excellent customer care, so we sincerely regret every instance of mistaken exploding dye-pack distribution.
I would like to personally assure you that it is not bank policy to distribute exploding dye-packs to customers that are making lawful, legitimate cash withdrawals.
A note has been added to your account stating that exploding dye packs are not to be included with your future withdrawals.
Please accept the enclosed Bank of Oops pens, t-shirt and travel mug as our apology. The minimum balance to maintain your Bank of Oops free checking has been decreased from $100 to $50 as well.
Again we are sincerely regret any inconvenience you have experienced, and if we can be of any further assistance please call our award-winning Oops Customer Care Linetm
, press "1" then press "8" and listen to the automated message.
Oscar O. Periwinkle Sr.
Deputy Assistant Sub-District Coordinator for Bank of Oops Serious Mishap Management